Useful

Someone may think this URL is utter wank, but I find it very useful, and I have engaged in many conversations with members of this group. It goes far deeper than what can be displayed on one page.

1 point

Found him after a bit of a hunt: Josh Thomas, Aussie comedian.

Oh man, heā€™s incredibly unfunny.

edit again: Found the vid from the OP pic:

edit againanant:
okay not the exact vid but appears to be a clip from the same chat

2 Points

I feel you missed the point of me say that, or maybe you didnt as your comment is exactly what I was talking about, but i feel like your comment was sarcasm.

I have even heard women utter ā€˜man upā€™. or ā€˜grow a pairā€™ when a man expresses his feelings of dissatisfaction with something. This is what I meant. Men are told to shut up and man up, and swallow those feelingsā€¦ until they bury you, and the noose comes out.

This is how I was raised. i cant recall how many times I was told to ā€œsuck it upā€ and ā€œwalk it offā€ . so much, that my wife calls me a robot. My emotions have been shut down.

TBH, I agree with most of the slides in this pic. Except the first, and one below it. Men being meant to be more resilient is not the problem. In fact, it is the solution. The getting paid more, patriarchy shit is well, just shit, but that has already been agreed.

2 Points

Itā€™s common knowledge and isnā€™t whataboutism because itā€™s about the original post. The statistics are common knowledge. Hereā€™s some from 1998:

There is definitely a commonality between projection of what someone strives to be and what they turn out to be, I agree. Often they are covering up for something. Jimmy Savile really did a lot to look after them kids, after allā€¦

It sounds like it is when you point out things like this:

Youā€™re a man, right? Have to check because all I see is an avatar and you never know these daysā€¦
The guy (Josh Thomas) was merely saying there are men who donā€™t open up. I thought this was an old video from the 90s and was disappointed that it was current and annoyed at some of the things but I read between the lines.

So a guy can say to another guy ā€œman upā€ but the connotations really should be ā€œgrow upā€. I donā€™t think going after someone and calling them a sex pest is helping after going after his (annoying) usage of ā€œmale privilegeā€. Basically thereā€™s annoying stuff here, but the point is just about suicide rates.

I totally agree with this, being in a similar position to whatā€™s mentioned. Iā€™m the one whoā€™s working in our house for the main part of the money at the moment, and itā€™s a huge pressure. Basically, everything is shit, and we all have to grow up, do the time, the work, and face our issues. Our brains are designed that way so we store everything we ever went through. If someone is bullied or raped, we carry that, and we donā€™t take the opportunities to actually let go of it.
We can do everything we like to try and FORGET it but it isnā€™t possible. Resolution has to be found, resentments like all the ones Iā€™ve read in this thread today have to be let go of, and move on. We grow up.

3 Points

yup. You have to forgive. I had a long debate with someone over this once. forgiveness is NOT about the offender. Its about the victim letting go. Forgiveness does not need to be deserved, or a reward from some form of penance. Its about letting go of the hold the event has on the victim.

2 Points

Yeah it was sarcasm - I just get annoyed when itā€™s said in circumstances where someone is genuinely opening up but the connotations are usually ā€œhide your feelings, donā€™t get help, donā€™t apologise, never cryā€ - I think ā€œman upā€ is fair, man to man. But if someone genuinely needs help and wasnā€™t heard for what theyā€™ve gone through (i.e. talking about a priest that raped them through their earliest days of youth, seeing people get shot as a kid etc) itā€™s not that useful when the person needs genuine help.

2 Points

Just to be clear, I wasnt expressing that to tell anyone to man up, but to note those words that are so commonly used to shut men down.

2 Points

Iā€™d disagree, I think itā€™s one of the best motivators for boys and men.

In what sense? If the listener has the correct definition of what is it to be a man, then absolutely, it can be a motivator.

The problem is that the speaker and the listener most often dont have the correct definition, and the term is used to just shut men up.

ā€œPut your purse down, and man upā€¦ā€ and the like are just attacks, which in most cases, are extremely unhelpful, and possibly the type of comment that leads to suicide. Again, some will hear this, then think ā€œOh yeah?, ill show you!ā€ and does a brilliant job. the other side of that coin is that he utters the same ā€œOh yeah?, Ill show you!ā€, then grabs a gun and starts shooting(others or himself).

I guess ā€œknow your audienceā€ is the moral to the above lol.

Every-time I was told it as a kid the situation gave me a very clear meaning of what it was to be a man.

1 point

I can agree with that, and I was the same. While i noted my emotions are shut down, I feel i am very resilient, and can weather almost any storm. My dad built me to be tough. He showed me strength. I thank him for it. I cite it as a reason for my success in life. Not all aspects of my life, though. In some areas, it has hindered me greatly.

1 point

When the fuck did you get that fourth daughter, damn it!? Why havenā€™t the elders of teo9i been informed of this?

Being gay isnā€™t anywhere near as stigmatised as it was, the current stats wonā€™t show anything similar, and older men who grew up with the stigma are a factor for sure but a tiny one.
Also wikipedia for any contentious issue is worthless as a source. Thereā€™s always ideological edit fights that make the page not worth the pixels.

No heā€™s not. Heā€™s spouting feminist talking points. Heā€™s being a soldier in a culture war.

3 Points

Yeah I didnā€™t know or judge this based on that. I just saw a crappy bit of video footage.

Hereā€™s the damn vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZuL_2hUaoI

edit: Hey look itā€™s this thread in youtube comments form. :eyes:

3 Points

I honestly thought this was from early 2000s. I still see most stats say suicide rates are higher for gays but it does also bother me how instead of pointing out only the low points some in minority go through, there is more out there (possibly because of car crash media shite) that puts out statements like X privilege.

2 Points

You know what doesnt help those rates? other gays. Ive had a few gay friends over the years(me hanging out with them, people thought i was gay), and ive seen some wild shit. A good buddy was a total slut, but he was very clean and took all the necessary safety steps. He never hid who he was, or lied. One guy got spiteful, for whatever reason and told the community that my buddy gave him a VDā€¦ well, my buddy was excommunicated from the gay community, and eventually just left town because he was isolated, and insulted. A weaker man may have killed himself over that.

side note: gay guy = best wingman ever.

4 Points

Shit Iā€™m sure the rates are even higher for lesbians given that they have, by far, the highest rates of domestic abuse.

3 Points

Emotions are so overrated.

2 Points

often yes, i fully agree with you. I can look at things logically.

when my child is standing in front of me crying and I am thinking ā€œwhy is this human leaking?ā€, not overrated lol

2 Points