How Reddit traders pushed GameStop’s struggling stock to the moon

one trader turned $53k into more than $11 million, while short-sellers lost $1.6 billion in a day

dance dancing GIF by Neurads

Short sellers have been called a lot of things. Bloodsuckers. Parasites. Other words not fit to print. Now in the vortex engulfing GameStop Corp., they have a new name: the establishment.

It’s a role cast for them with relish by their chat-room usurpers, the tens of thousands of average Joe day-traders whose fervor for a left-for-dead retailer has become a self-fulfilling prophecy in its 245% rally this year. GameStop has become a money geyser for the options-obsessed crowd that gathers in Reddit’s WallStreetBets forum. For those wagering on a decline, it’s been a catastrophe.

Give credit where it’s due. In their frenzy, WSB’s cocky hordes have managed to turn the tables in a game short sellers invented, spinning gold from the complacency of others. Before this year, GameStop was a cash register for bearish traders, who borrowed and sold more shares than the company issued. Hedge funds had been winning so long that they overlooked the tinderbox they were creating should sentiment turn.

Now it has, violently. GameStop, which isn’t expected to turn a profit before 2023, has seen its market value triple to $4.5 billion in three weeks, burning the skeptics whose any attempt to cover is likely to further propel its ascent.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-25/how-wallstreetbets-pushed-gamestop-shares-to-the-moon

4 Points

It’s been nuts to watch. I am in a few stock groups and GME has been all everyone is talking about lol.

I only trade crypto. I have yet to get into stocks.

2 Points

2 Points

4 Points

See, we have common ground!

2 Points

4 Points

:download_1_:

4 Points

Yup! There will be emergency bills for this.

4 Points

Robinhood Halts Buying In GameStop And AMC; Barstool’s Portnoy Slams App: “They Should All Be In Jail”

1 point

2 Points

So, people dared play their game and win and they want a change? Sounds like the Democrats after Trump won the White House.

2 Points

Is this real??

3 Points

Not according to the MSI (mainstream internet) :joy:

2 Points

Seriously though… Can this stay on topic and try not to turn it into another us vs them sports event?

4 Points

I think one of the front wheels already fell off.

3 Points

How are your sources looking now?

baby GIF

2 Points
1 point

4 Points

Class action suit filed against robinhood in NY.

2 Points

HOLD THE LINE!

(I don’t actually have any GME)

2 Points