Four-day week means 'I don't waste holidays on chores'

3 Points

I thought Sweden tried this, the cost to the state was astronomical. Many workers on the scheme complaining how tired they were all the time.

…cost of implementing > 4 day week > no reduced pay > higher taxes to pay for cost of impleme…

Not to mention many industries would be unable to implement a 4 day week.

2 Points

I have worked a 4 day and I am not a fan:
Every time you need a day off cost you 10 hours not 8.
Every appointment you try and make conflicts with work.
10 straight hours sucks.

Currently on a 9/80 (4 days are 9 hours every other friday is off with the working friday being 8 hours)
Not much better. Having 3 days off every other week is cool but its still kinda a bitch to get everything done only on friday.

Best shift I have worked so fare is 3/12 payed for 40, worked nights so added 10% for shift work. If I had it to do over I would do that but do a first shift.

What I would prefer is working a 4 day week, max 6 hours at a much higher pay :slight_smile:

4 Points

Reset Button GIF by MOODMAN

Oh yeah we forget you guys don’t really have a concept of holiday pay; all your work is more like our contract work in the UK. Generally here every permanent job is a 9-5:30 37.5 hour working day with 28 days statutory paid holiday as salaried.

I’m with the understanding that you guys take time off, you don’t get paid so you save for your time off? That’s what I hear from people working here

1 point

The most ‘typical’ situation (and trust me there are many variations based on the type of job, skill level (for instance, a 20 year HVAC tech will have better benefits than a fast food worker) if this:

Five eight-hour days, two weeks paid vacation (that usually doesn’t carry over), national holidays paid (up to ten days a year), and five sick days. You can take up to a 12 weeks off, unpaid, after sick time and vacation is used up, to deal with a medical emergency without losing your job.

You get one 15 min. break (paid) and a 30 minute break (unpaid) during an eight hour shift (so you are usually there 8.5 hours). Work over 40 hours is X1.5 unless you are salaried (given a base pay for a year of work).

Again, benefits differ but this is the most common setup.

1 point

Personally I would love a 4-10 week. I’m quite comfortable working 12-15 hour shifts as a HVAC tech, and often worked two jobs when I was a younger adult. I understand it’s not everyone’s cup of tea though.

1 point

Depends on job and industry
I get 5 weeks paid vacation, no sick time, and like 7 paid holidays
Not too bad, not the worst or the best

1 point

My work is I contract, I get paid weekly on a daily rate, and if i don’t work I don’t get paid. I’ve got a friend though who just got offered a permanent role for 4 days a week at standard 8 hours per day, £85k salary with bonus and shares - but that’s software engineering for you.

1 point

My contract is 40 hours a week, I get thirty days of paid holidays, sick leave and parental absence gets paid by the state up to 67% of my average salary before I became a dad. With bank holidays and weekends, I get to work for about two hundred days a year.