Chappelle being 'transphobic'

I have always liked Chappelle, I have always respected and enjoyed his comedy. This is one of the hardest hitting and funny things I’ve ever watched.

8 Points

The Devil can not endure to be mocked.

6 Points

Same, always loved what Chapelle does, he keeps it real and honest
One of the few people I don’t turn off when he talks about race for those reasons

6 Points

And no one is off limits with him. He has joked about everyone.

He once said something like(paraphrase): race is no reason to hate someone, but it might be funny.

6 Points

South Park is the same way… though the ‘witch’ episode wasn’t great, I enjoyed having it included in the spoofs. We should be able to laugh at each other, and be able to be laughed at. Most of us live a tragic comedy, some live a comedic tragedy… and a thankful few just live a tragedy… who might have a moment of joy laughing at the rest of us.

I’m not going to be PC in this list (because I grew up with some of them, and they were funny as hell)… Carlin, Dangerfield, Cosby, Foxworthy, inglesias, Pryor, Kinson, Ron White, Chapelle, Engvall, Jeff Dunham, Larry the Cable Guy, Chris Rock, Pryor, Burr, Murphy, Williams, Gaffigan, Rickles, Martin, Oswalt, Rivers, Betty White, Louis Black, McDonald, Murphy, Candy, Carry, Brand, Cleese, Martin, Mel Brooks, Burnett, Radner, George Burns, Spade, Farley, Carr, Tosh, Stewart, Ferguson, Idle, Carey (and the rest of the ‘Who’s Line is it Anyway’ cast), Leary, Romano (a bit), Kaufman, Chase, Miller, Gottfried (Aflack!), Ralphie May, Colbert (when he was doing the Daily Show), Fry, Quinn, Barr… I don’t think there’s an Asian on the list so I’m probably racist… but this is a core of the comedy I’ve grown up with, from listening to Cosby on 8-tracks in my grandfather’s car to watching Jeff Dunham somehow make ventriloquism cool(ish).

How many of them were ‘pc’, how many of them pushed boundaries, challenged norms, and sublimated customs… not to tear things down… but to make a joke! They connected with people because they publicly spewed everyone’s inner thoughts (looking at you Rosanne!).

Comedy is the balance of being real and being absurd while knowing when to challenge long enough to allow for a resolution. It’s getting the audience just squirming just enough to deliver a punchline that will relieve the tension and deliver a message. Chappelle is a master of doing that. He will push the edge of tension as far as he can (flashback to the Chappelle show Season one skit about a blind, black KKK member… it was amazingly good, because it made you squirm and resolved well. He also has the black junky he plays in many skits… he’s fair, open and honest (and is willing to be absurd).

As for the list… I challenge anyone to find any of those great comedians innocent of the same ‘thought crime’. All have said things that could be considered racist, homophobic or anti-transgender (except Cosby… but… yeah. he was funny as hell though).

6 Points

Love that list. I’ll add Patrice O’Neal to it.

4 Points

That was excellent

1 point

I guess that all depends on who’s ‘pc’ we’re talking about.

4 Points

Good question… but since I don’t believe in ‘PC’ and never have… I don’t care to answer. I will say that after watching Patrick O’Neal… didn’t strike my funny bone in the least. Ralphie May is more ‘ghetto funny’ than he is… and he’s beyond wonder bread white.

2 Points

life experience, life experiences, everyone has a line in the sand they are uncomfortable crossing the problem being they tend to draw the line just in front of peoples toes with out any consolation.

1 point

I agree. I have lines I am uncomfortable in crossing, and I know I have a way of challenging those lines in people. My best friend, LV was an evangelical Christian. Straight, Biblical-y literal and was married to, at the time, a wiccan (witch). I was also a wiccan, I didn’t share that with him until he (as Reality said it) drew the line. I stepped over it, I \ came out, accepted his point of view as his and years later when I came out as bisexual, he was the first one I did to… because it’s a two way thing. I accepted his beliefs, and accepted him for them… and I could trust his to accept mine and love me for them even though we personally didn’t hold each other’s beliefs. We were who we were, and we were best friends.

3 Points

He lives like an hour from my house, and hangs out in town. He seems like a good dude to me, and comedy is supposed to be edgy.

1 point

The Queen lives like an hour from my house, but she doesn’t hang out in town. :frowning_face:

Funny how ‘being local to someone’ translates vastly differently depending on the size of the country.

2 Points

youre a subject. he is a neighbour :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Points

Believe me, at the moment being a ‘subject’ sounds like a great deal!

2 Points