Apple will use Tesla’s ‘megapack’ batteries at its California solar farm

Batteries. Like I said :slight_smile:

2 Points

The environmental impact of batteries is much worse than what carbon dioxide can cause, not to mention degrading and disposing of them once they finally fail.

There was a system I saw somewhere that uses an electric motor to lift a heavy weight to store energy, then allows the weight to descend during hours of demand. I thought it was a brilliant option that is far more Eco-friendly. Sure, you can’t do that with a phone or a car… but a series of cement slabs hoisted during the day by solar power and allowed to descend while spinning a turbine? Yeah, I can see a benefit in that.

2 Points

or, batteries in the concrete slabs hoisted during the day by solar power and allowed to descend while spinning a turbine, creating power and allowing the batteries to trickle charge 24/7.

I think there must be a little energy lost in heat due to the mechanics but otherwise it sounds pretty good if it’s well set up. Be good to have a link!

That is a mechanical battery - something that’s existed in history for thousands of years and yeah it sounds like something we should account for

1 point

Yup, that’s the point. The use of counter weights can be used to re-hoist the blocks.

1 point

Yes, I also agree :joy:

1 point

Glad we’re all on the same page. Who’s going to tell apple?

1 point
2 Points
1 point

Not energy storage, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMTchVXedkk

So cool - you could dig a pit in the garden for those, I imagine

Or even attach it to the back of your car! I’m such a genius

Mobile phones… wrist watches… man, this is perfect