And so it begins

2 Points

So… since I paid mine off, do I get $50,000, or am I just going to be taxed to pay for the other dead-beats?

3 Points

So, you are upset that other people might be helped because you ‘got yours’? As a parent of two students, I am extremely happy about this

2 Points

There should be strings attached. Like good grades, attendance and behaviour.

2 Points

As the parent of a child in med school with currently $80K in debt I say no (she will be approx $400k in debt, I hate it for her, but not your fault). There should be some type of subsidy for low income people like us, but she could have joined the military for a few years to help offset med school loans. Also there should be caps on what institutions can charge if they are on the govt dole. We paid for her first four, she pays for the next four. Now, don’t confuse my saying this with me not agreeing that universities and colleges are scamming parents and kids all over the US because they all believe they need a degree to suceed, but the choice was hers and being taxed more is gonna be harder on all the middle class since they are the ones that bear the brunt of the taxes. We still have two more kids to send to college.

2 Points

So a tweet of a retweet from a friend who knows a guy…?

It has already begun!

2 Points

Montana Legislator, former Congressional candidate

3 Points

You’re suggesting people like students :rofl:

We should not have bailed out the banks. I would rather bail out students as long as their degrees were of some use to the country. I would be willing to agree to a 25% forgiveness, but someone is actually paying that and it isnt the ultra rich, it is the middle class.

3 Points

I agree, though somehow kids/young adults have to taught responsibility for themselves and others. Something being done less and less in the home these days.

1 point

^^ Meanwhile from the Dems:

1 point

Know what, changed my mind. These kids should not be allowed to take out loans until they have a fully functional brain and understand the risks and what it really means. School loans are predatory as are most loans, but they saddle young adults (older kids) with sometimesa lifetime of debt that they cannot fully understand. Schools should not be in that kind of business. Loans need a better workaround, a better system, schools need to be reconstructed in the tuition department and kids need to be taught that a community college education along with a public university is just as good as an expensive ivy league or private, for profit university. I haven’t finished my degree I am ashamed to admit, but I am not rich and until my kids are all done I will not be able to afford it and thankfully as a young kid in college (17 yo) I didn’t fall into the loans trap, my brothers did. My older brother has about 100k in loans from law school, not sure what the other has. Either way, law school and med school should not be so dang expensive. I NOW say, if you bailed out the banks, cancel 50k in student loans. Stop predatory lending. The govt has to do better.

3 Points

I didn’t ‘get mine’, I paid off mine by refinancing the house, and am still paying off the actual debt (albeit at half the rate the schools were charging). As a parent of three teenagers (and a tween son) that won’t benefit at all from this while it drives up tuition costs… I can say I am getting fucked at both ends. Glad it works out for you though.

1 point

I have no issue with supplementing needed degrees. Think on it though, the people that have those degrees are the ones in the top 5% of income earners. This will only help the wealthy and those that will become the wealthy while bumping up tuition further hindering future poor people from attending.

My eldest daughter earned a $1573/semester scholarship. She has to apply for student loans to claim it but she is a graphic designer who wants certifications to boost her skills, none of which she can use the scholarship for. So she looses that money and gets to bail out former generations because she’s responsible… totally fair.

Second daughter wants to be an EMT, again, no loans, a technical certification. Also going to be obligated to pay for someone’s surgical degree who will make 10X her salary. Totally fair, right?

By the way, the colleges still get their money… when are we going to address the growing costs of education that put thee students in debt to begin with?

1 point